Open your bibles to: Proverbs 2:1-6 “My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding”
Location To Do Today’s Devotion: INSIDE THE HOME / TREASURE HUNT
Devotion Supplies You’ll Need From Home: BIBLE, PREPARE THE TREASURE HUNT MAP IN ADVANCE, AND PURCHASE A SMALL PRIZE (TREASURE) THAT YOUR CHILD CAN FIND AT THE END OF THE TREASURE HUNT
White Box Item Of The Day: TREASURE HUNT MAP
PREPARE FOR OUR TREASURE HUNT: Use the “Treasure Map” provided in the “White Box”
• There is a start and a finish on the map with (4) four clue circles in between
• Decide on where the “Treasure Hunt” will begin (what room of the house)…start the hunt and explain the hunt rules at this location
• Give your kid(s) the map and let them read CLUE #1 – You, the parent, will need to write in the 4 clue circles on the map ahead of time. These clues will lead your child through the ‘treasure hunt’
o Example: “There is a place where water comes and water goes, a place to stand under this indoor hose” WHERE AM I? (Shower)
o Example 2: “When I smell I’m tossed in here, to splish and splash so I can wear” WHAT AM I? (washing machine)
• After reading CLUE #1…have the child go on a hunt to find the location in the house where you HAVE ALREADY hidden a QUESTION NOTE there.
o A “Question Note” can be a sticky note with the below questions written on it
• After the CLUE #1 location is found…discuss the Sticky Note/Question Note together and then use your Treasure Map to read CLUE #2 and repeat these steps
• Once the child arrives at the last location…the Treasure Chest location…place a special toy, or book, or prize for them inside a box, suitcase, or premade treasure chest. Read and discuss the last QUESTION NOTE/STICKY NOTE
*Location: At the STARTING place for your hunt:
READ OUR PROVERBS 2:1-6 VERSE TOGETHER
1. What do you think Proverbs means when it says “TREASURE MY COMMANDS”?
2. What do you think Proverbs means when it says “ASK FOR UNDERSTANDING”?
1. Our verse also says that in order to gain understanding we must seek for it like seeking silver or hidden treasure
2. Today you will go on a TREASURE HUNT
3. This treasure hunt will require you to put on your detective minds if you want to find our secret treasure
4. Are you ready to go hunting? Let’s play!!! *BEGIN YOUR HUNT USING THE ABOVE DETAILS
Write this on your sticky note at the CLUE #1 location
• Is there anything you don’t UNDERSTAND about God? Ask away!!
• (Use this time as an opportunity to discuss questions your child may have about the Lord – if you don’t have the answer, don’t make one up. Let them know that you would be happy to study the answer together some time soon)
Write this on your sticky note at the CLUE #2 location
• Share with each other one word of WISDOM that God has taught you
Write this on your sticky note at the CLUE #3 location
• Name some treasures God has given or gives you everyday
• (Breath/life, house/shelter, food to eat, clothes to wear, strength to walk/run/play, etc)
Write this on your sticky note at the CLUE #4 location
• What does this verse mean to you? James 1:17 “every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above”
Write this on your sticky note at the TREASURE CHEST location
• Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
When we seek God and His Wisdom like hidden treasure…God will ALWAYS provide. You have found our treasure today…now, open this treasure and enjoy this gift from us. Great Job Hunting!!!